McKinney-Vento Act

Information for School Aged Youth and their families from the Mayer Unified School District


If you live in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then you have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act


You have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. You must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.
  • Continue in the school you attended before you became homeless or the school located in the attendance area where you are temporarily living. The school district’s local liaison for the homeless education must assist you, if needed, and offer you the right to appeal a decision regarding your choice of school if it goes against your wishes.
  • Receive transportation to the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if you request such transportation and if it is feasible.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with students who are not homeless. Students cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other students served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.
Staff Members

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education (see phone number below) for help in enrolling in a new school or arranging to continue in your former school.
  • Tell your teachers anything that you think they need to know to help you in school.
  • Ask the local liaison for homeless education, for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.